Notarial Services

Can the US Embassy notarize my document?

Documents used for legal purposes in the United States of America or in Burundi may require notarization by the U.S. Consular Officer.

The Embassy can notarize or authenticate:

  • Documents for use in the United States (such as deeds and powers of attorney);
  • Affidavits (executed before Consular Section personnel);
  • Affidavits of copies of U.S. police reports required by Burundian authorities to obtain a work permit.
  • Affidavits of U.S. Diplomas required by Burundian authorities to obtain a work permit.
  • Documents required for the issuance of a United States passport or Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  • Attestations of celibacy (also known as “attestations de celibat”): a sworn statement of an individual’s unmarried status, required for marrying in Burundi.

The Embassy cannot notarize or authenticate:

  • Birth, death, and marriage certificates issued in the United States.
  • Judgments or divorce decrees issued by courts in the United States.
  • Documents to be used anywhere other than the U.S. or Burundi.

If you are unsure whether a Consular Officer can authenticate or notarize your document, please send us an email at with the name and type of the document, where it was issued, and why you would like it notarized.

How much will it cost to have my document notarized?

There is a $50 fee for each document or signature. Payment Options: We accept U.S. dollars (issued during or after 2009 only due to Burundian Banking Regulations) and Burundian Francs.

What do I need to provide?

On the date of your appointment, you must appear in-person and bring:

  • The completed unsigned documents. Please note that the Consular Officer cannot translate or explain the contents of a document to a client.
  • A valid government-issued ID such as passport or driver’s license.
  • Required fees; and
  • If there are witnesses required, you must bring them with you. The Consular Officer or Embassy staff cannot act as witnesses on anyone’s behalf.

You will receive the notarized documents on the same day of your appointment.

How do I get my document authenticated if the Embassy is not able to do it?

If we are unable to authenticate or notarize your document issued in the United States, the Office of Authentications, based in Washington, D.C., may be able to assist you. Please see their website for further information.