Emergency Financial Assistance

Consular staff can assist U.S. citizens/non-citizen nationals by providing information on sources of financial assistance (e.g. names and locations of money transfer companies such as Western Union, etc.). Consular staff can also offer to contact family, friends and employers, process Overseas Citizen Services (OCS) Trusts, or assist individuals to complete a financial loan application and promissory note (Form DS-3072).

If family, friends and/or employers are unwilling or unable to send money to a destitute U.S. citizen/non-citizen national; emergency loans are available qualified individuals and their family members under the following three circumstances:

• For repatriation to the United States of destitute U.S. citizens and qualified family members who are presently outside of the United states;

• For emergency medical and dietary assistance for those U.S. citizens incarcerated abroad, or for destitute non-incarcerated U.S. citizens and their family members who are abroad and otherwise unable to obtain such services on their own;

• For crisis evacuation to a safe haven for U.S. citizens and qualified immediate family members. In the case of a crisis, this may include non-U.S. citizen adult escorts for minor U.S. citizen children, and foreign nationals who possess appropriate travel documents, including a valid visa for entry into the United States, when their lives are endangered by war, civil unrest, or natural disaster.