Transmitting Citizenship

Transmission of U.S. citizenship depends on:

  1. At least one parent having the nationality of the United States at the time of the child’s birth;
  2. The existence of a blood relationship between the child and U.S. citizen parent(s);
  3. Documentary evidence demonstrating the U.S. citizen parent(s)’ presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth.

Examples of documentation which may be considered to demonstrate a blood relationship may include:

  • The child’s birth certificate (hospital birth notifications are not acceptable).
  • An original marriage certificate for the parents (if applicable).
  • Pregnancy and birth records, such as dated ultrasounds containing the name of mother, laboratory test results, doctor/ultrasound/hospital receipts, pictures of the mother pregnant, pictures of mother and baby immediately following
  • Hospital bills from the birth, the baby’s and mother’s hospital identification bracelets, or discharge orders.
  • Lease agreements, bank statements, home utility bills, or IRS tax declaration documents showing a shared address.
  • Proof of relationship between parents, such as time-stamped photos of the couple together before, during, and after the pregnancy, photos of the U.S. Citizen parent with the newborn baby, Western Union money transfer receipts, email correspondence.
  • Proof the couple was together at time of conception, such as original or certified copies of passport pages showing entry and exit stamps.

Examples of documentation which may be considered to demonstrate that physical presence requirements have been met may include (but are not limited to):

  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Academic transcripts.
  • Employment records.
  • Rental receipts.
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment.
  • U.S. passport stamps.
  • If you have other children who have been issued with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, this may be considered as supplemental evidence.
  • Rental or lease agreements.