Eligibility for a CRBA

If you are a U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born outside of the United States, you may want to document your child’s U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad is a formal document certifying the acquisition of U.S. citizenship at birth by a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s).  In other words, it is proof of U.S. citizenship.  Please note that a CRBA application can only be processed in the American Citizen Services Unit in the country where the child was born while the child is under age 18.  The US Embassy in Bujumbura, Burundi can accept applications for a child’s CRBA born out of Burundi, however that though we can accept the CRBA application for a child born in another country, the case will be transferred for processing to the embassy in that country.  To save time and streamline the process, we strongly encourage applicants – where possible – to apply for the CRBA in the country or consular district where the child was born.

Applications for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad are accepted by appointment only.  Please use the Embassy Appointment System to schedule an appointment.  The fee for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad is $100 USD or local equivalent in Burundi Francs at the time of the appointment. One parent must be present with the child to submit an application.

A Consular officer determines the eligibility of U.S. citizen parents to “transmit” citizenship to the child in accordance with the United States Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  Please answer the questions below to see information on applying for a CRBA in a family situation similar to your own.  The information presented here is a general guideline; a Consular Officer may request additional information or documentation when you apply, depending on the specific circumstances of your case.