Event: There are two confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in Burundi.
Registering Interest in Future Flight
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of US personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
In an effort to contain the virus, the Burundian authorities have suspended commercial air travel. The U.S. Embassy is working to confirm availability of seats for American citizens and nationals on special flights, the first of which may leave Burundi on Saturday, April 4.
If you want to return to the United States but have been unable to book commercial flights, please register your interest (and indicate each accompanying American citizen family member) in special flights by emailing BujumburaC@state.gov using the subject line: Special flights interest.
In your email, please provide the following for each traveler:
- Full name
- U.S. passport number
- Date of birth
- Email address
- Phone number
- A photograph of the biographical information page of your passport
Only email us this information if you are interested in immediately departing for the United States. Please do not call the Embassy to confirm receipt of your email. We will use the contact information you provide to communicate about any possible additional flight(s) as soon as possible. If you have concerns about other matters, please contact BujumburaC@state.gov.
Additional Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Burundi.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Burundi.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Bujumbura, Burundi
Avenue des Etats-Unis
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burundi-specific information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter