July 11, 2017
Burundian police have confirmed a grenade attack took place this evening at approximately 9:00 p.m. in the Centre-ville Bujumbura neighborhood of Bwiza. The incident has concluded and police have the situation under control, although three injuries were reported. The Embassy recommends avoiding the area for the evening.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Burundi.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Burundi, located at Avenue des Etats-Unis and Avenue du Cinquantenaire in Bujumbura, at +257-22-20-7000 from 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +257-22-20-7318 or +257-79-938-841.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.