The U.S. Embassy in Bujumbura is informing U.S. citizens of potential periodic traffic congestion and closure of Boulevard Mwambusta (westward from Avenue des Etats-Unis) due to special events in the area through the evening of Friday, November 18, 2016. U.S. citizens are advised to consider alternate routes while traveling today and tomorrow.
Even events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations, or avoid such areas altogether.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Burundi.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Burundi located on the corner of Avenue des Etats-Unis and Avenue du Cinquantenaire in Bujumbura, at +257-22-20-7000, 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +257-22-20-7318, or +257-79-93-88-41.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or +1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.