The U.S. Embassy would like to notify U.S. citizens of multiple locally planned peaceful marches starting today and continuing through this weekend. In addition, it is possible that unplanned events will occur spontaneously throughout Bujumbura and other cities in Burundi.
On Friday, April 28, from approximately 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., a large group is planning to gather near the Roca Golf Hotel and move to the Monument of the Unknown Soldier, near Au Bon Prix on Blvd. du 28 Novembre.
On Saturday, April 29, from approximately 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., another large group will gather at the Guido Maria Conforti Church in Kamenge and proceed to the OPDE (children’s NGO) in Kigobe using Blvd. du 28 Novembre. Please note that the end-point of this march is between Ave. des Etats-Unis and Ave. Quincaillerie, and it may be difficult or impossible to access the Embassy via Blvd. du 28 Novembre on Saturday.
Even events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. The U.S. Embassy is advising citizens to avoid areas where the events are taking place and exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings — including local events — and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Burundi.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Burundi located on the corner of Avenue des Etats-Unis and Avenue du Cinquantenaire in Bujumbura, at +257-22-20-7000, 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +257-22-20-7318, or +257-79-93-88-41.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or +1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.