Thursday, December 24, 2015
U.S. Embassy Bujumbura would like to inform U.S. citizens that historically there has been an increase in criminal activity, especially robbery and theft, during the holiday season. U.S. citizens in Burundi should remain cautious during this period and consider the following security practices:
- If you are the victim of a robbery, do not fight back. Seek assistance from police if they are nearby. Report crimes to the local police and contact the U.S. Embassy. Remember local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.
- Stay informed. Follow the news and social media. Know the location of police activity, large gatherings, or road closures ahead of time.
- Avoid large public gatherings, especially those with large numbers of westerners and/or no visible security presence.
- Keep your cell phone charged and with you at all times; ensure that emergency numbers are programmed into your phone.
U.S. citizens remaining in Burundi should review the Burundi Travel Warning issued on December 13 as well as their personal security situation and seriously consider departing, taking advantage of commercial flights.
Please contact us at BURUNDIEMERGENCYUSC@state.gov if you need assistance departing Burundi so that we may assess potential options for assisting you.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Burundi.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Bujumbura, located at Avenue des Etats-Unis and Avenue du Cinquantenaire in Bujumbura, Burundi, at+257-22-20-7000 from 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +257-22-20-7318, or +257-79-938-841.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.