Monday, July 20, 2015
The U.S. Embassy in Bujumbura will be closed July 21, during the presidential election. The U.S. Embassy has restricted travel for its personnel during this time as a security precaution. U.S. citizens should likewise exercise caution and limit travel during this period.
U.S. citizens requiring emergency embassy services may call the after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens: +257-22-20-7318.
U.S. citizens who have decided to stay in Burundi despite the Burundi Travel Warning issued on May 14 should regularly review their personal security situation and seriously consider departing, taking advantage of existing commercial flights.
Please contact us at BujumburaC@state.gov if you need assistance departing Burundi so that we may assess potential options for assisting you.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Burundi.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Bujumbura, located at Avenue des Etats-Unis and Avenue du Cinquantenaire in Bujumbura, Burundi, at +257-22-20-7000 from 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +257-22-20-7318, or +257-79-938-841.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.