United States Embassy Bujumbura, Burundi
Routine Message for U.S. Citizens:
Reduction in Routine Consular Services
March 14, 2020
The Embassy wishes to inform U.S. citizens living in or traveling to Burundi that owing to a staffing shortage, we will be unable to provide routine consular services for the foreseeable future. Emergency services to U.S. citizens will continue uninterrupted. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, the emergency number for the U.S. Embassy is +257-22-20-7318, or +257-79-93-88-41.U.S. citizens seeking assistance from the consular section on routine matters should continue to contact the section via email at BujumburaC@state.gov for updated information on the availability of those services.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Burundi.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Burundi, located at Avenue des Etats-Unis and Avenue du Cinquantenaire in Bujumbura, at +257-22-20-7000from 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +257-22-20-7318 or +257-79-938-841.
- Call 1-888-407-4747toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.