United States Embassy Bujumbura, Burundi
Security Message for U.S. Citizens:
Peaceful Demonstration Planned for Tomorrow November 18, 2017
November 17, 2017
The U.S. Embassy has learned that peaceful marches are being planned for this Saturday, November 18, in Bujumbura and other communes throughout Burundi. Most events will be held in the morning hours and have finished by early afternoon, but there may be several separate, but related, events taking place all day. These events may cause traffic congestion and temporary road closures in many cities throughout Burundi.
This event is expected to be peaceful; nonetheless, even events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Avoid areas where the gatherings are taking place and exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings—including local events—and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
· See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Burundi.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Burundi, located at Avenue des Etats-Unis and Avenue du Cinquantenaire in Bujumbura, at +257-22-20-7000 from 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +257-22-20-7318 or +257-79-938-841.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
· Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.