Location: Bujumbura, Burundi
Event: Cancellation of Ethiopian special commercial flight planned for Saturday, May 23
The U.S. Embassy has learned of the cancellation of the special commercial flight that was being arranged by SatGuru and operated by Ethiopian Airlines, scheduled to leave Bujumbura on Saturday, 23 May, and traveling to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (ADD).
Please note that the U.S. Embassy was not involved in arranging this flight. The Embassy will continue to attempt to inform you of flight options that becomes available, but cannot guarantee the reliability of information or scheduling for sources not under our control
If your U.S. passport has expired, or will be expiring in the next 90 days, please schedule an emergency passport appointment with the consular section at BujumburaC@state.gov
The U.S. Embassy is not planning any additional special humanitarian flights at this time. The Embassy strongly encourages American citizens in Burundi who wish to return to United States in the near future travel via other opportunities as soon as possible. Otherwise, they should be prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. It is unclear when Burundi’s international airport will resume normal operations, or when other flights may be scheduled. The Department of State cannot guarantee that there will be future flight options.
Additional Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Burundi.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Burundi.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Bujumbura, Burundi
Avenue des Etats-Unis
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burundi-specific information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Check the Alerts and Messages for U.S. Citizens portion of our webpage for past communications from STEP
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter