Location: Bujumbura, Burundi
Event: Airport closure extended on April 4 for 14 additional days
On Saturday, April 4, the Ministry of Transport, Public Works, Equipment and Homeland Planning announced an additional 14-day extension of the suspension on all international commercial flights departing or arriving from the Melchior Ndadaye International Airport that began on March 22, 2020 at 23:59 GMT. Only cargo, medical evacuation, humanitarian, and diplomatic flights are exempt. The notice took effect on April 4 at 23:59 GMT.
It is unclear when the airport in Burundi will resume normal operations, or when other flights may be scheduled. The Department of State cannot guarantee that there will be future flight options.
If you are interested in repatriation flights, please follow the instructions in this message to register your interest. If you have already expressed interest in a repatriation flight via BujumburaC@state.gov following the instructions, you do not need to indicate your interest a second time. If you hope to travel to the United States via a repatriation flight, please be ready to travel on very short notice.
Additional Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Burundi.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Burundi.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Bujumbura, Burundi
Avenue des Etats-Unis
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burundi-specific information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter