Message for U.S. Citizens – U.S. Embassy Bujumbura, Burundi (April 3, 2020)
Location: Bujumbura, Burundi
Event: Ethiopian Airlines Flight Monday, April 6
Ethiopian Airlines is scheduling a special commercial flight departing on Monday, April 6 from Bujumbura to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (Bole International Airport/ADD), with a connection available to Washington, D.C. (Dulles International Airport/IAD). From Dulles International Airport, additional connections to other major U.S. airports may be available at additional traveler expense. It is not possible to book this flight through the Ethiopian Airlines website. Tickets are first-come, first-serve, and interested persons should book immediately in order to ensure they secure seats.
To make a reservation, please call +257 75 58 3000 (cell phone) or +257 76 33 0444 (cell phone) or email Sales.firstname.lastname@example.org. SatGuruTravel has informed us that passengers departing from Bujumbura can pay in cash at the Satguru office or by credit card, which requires verification (sending passport and credit card data by email or Whatsapp).
Bujumbura’s Satguru office contact information is:
Satguru Travel & Tours Services
Boulevard Patrice Lumumba,
Opposite Palais Des Arts,
The price estimate for the Bujumbura-Dulles (IAD) flight is approximately $2800 per person, as set by the airline. The Embassy strongly encourages American citizens in Burundi who wish to return to United States in the near future to book tickets now. It is unclear when the airport in Burundi will resume normal operations, or when other flights may be scheduled. The Department of State cannot guarantee that there will be future flight options. If evacuation or charter flights later become available, they may be substantially more expensive than this special commercial flight.
If an American citizen is destitute or otherwise unable to pay for this special commercial flight, they should contact BujumburaC@state.gov to explore alternate payment methods.
Additional Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Burundi.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Burundi.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Bujumbura, Burundi
Avenue des Etats-Unis
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burundi-specific information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter