Message for U.S. Citizens: Special Flight Planned for July 29 or 30

Location: Bujumbura, Burundi

Event:  Special commercial flight planned for Wednesday, July 29 or Thursday, July 30

The U.S. Embassy has learned a tentative special commercial flight is being arranged by SatGuru potentially leaving Bujumbura on Wednesday, July 29 or Thursday, July 30 and traveling to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (ADD).  SatGuru is still awaiting final confirmation by the Government of Burundi.  Please note that the U.S. Embassy is not involved in arranging this flight, and does not have details on exact timing, baggage, pricing, etc.

Persons interested in traveling via this special opportunity should contact the travel agency SatGuru at

Connections may be available from Addis Ababa to other destinations, including to the United States.  Travelers will be responsible for arranging their own travel from Ethiopia onward and should take into account the travel restrictions of any countries en route to their final destination.  More information about travel restrictions in Ethiopia are available here.  Further information about travel restrictions in other countries is available at the U.S. embassy COVID-19 web page for that country.  Cost of the flight will ultimately be dependent on the number of seats occupied, and passengers must arrange payment directly with SatGuru once the flight is confirmed.

If your U.S. passport has expired, or will be expiring in the next 90 days, please schedule an emergency passport appointment with the consular section at

The U.S. Embassy is not planning any additional special humanitarian flights at this time.  The Embassy strongly encourages American citizens in Burundi who wish to return to United States in the near future travel via this or other opportunities as soon as possible.  Otherwise, they should be prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.  It is unclear when Burundi’s international airport will resume normal operations, or when other flights may be scheduled.  The Department of State cannot guarantee that there will be future flight options.

Additional Actions to Take: