Location: Bujumbura, Burundi
Event: Security considerations regarding the beginning of Burundi election period and end of special repatriation flights
A U.S. Government-organized special humanitarian departed Bujumbura on Tuesday, April 21. The U.S. Embassy is not planning any further special humanitarian flights at this time. It is unclear when Burundi’s international airport will resume normal operations for commercial flights.
The campaign period for the Burundian presidential elections officially opened on Monday, April 27. Please continue to employ best practices for your personal safety and security.
While the campaign and election periods are expected to be peaceful, caution is always advisable. Large gatherings can be unpredictable, and can cause traffic congestion and temporary road closures. Given the unique situation we face regarding COVID-19, exercising good judgement about social distancing and personal protective measures remains critically important.
Take this opportunity to review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, and monitor local news stations for updates. Ensure that your home and family are prepared in terms of food, water, hygiene items, and the ability to stay in communication with family and colleagues. It is better to always be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
If you are a U.S. citizen who has decided to stay in Burundi, please confirm your current location in Burundi with our BujumburaC@state.gov inbox. While your compliance with this request is totally optional, it helps our consular section provide you with the best possible level of service in the event of an emergency.
Additional Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Burundi.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Burundi.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Bujumbura, Burundi
Avenue des Etats-Unis
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burundi-specific information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Check the Alerts and Messages for U.S. Citizens portion of our webpage for past communications from STEP
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter