Location: Bujumbura, Burundi
Event: Bookings complete for special U.S. Government humanitarian flight departure on April 21
The U.S. Government-organized special humanitarian flight is now scheduled to depart from Bujumbura on Tuesday, April 21. Travelers with confirmed bookings on this flight will soon receive additional details separately, via email. Cost of the flight expected to be approximately $1900 per adult, $1500 per child 2-12, and $200 per infant under two years of age. Please note that we anticipate high demand for this flight. The U.S. Government cannot predict when another flight will become available. This flight will pick up passengers in other countries and fly to Washington, D.C. Disembarkation at transit airports en route to the United States will not be possible.
Please note that the booking deadline for this flight ended on Sunday, April 19.
The Embassy strongly encourages American citizens in Burundi who wish to return to United States in the near future travel via this or other opportunities as soon as possible. Otherwise, they should be prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. It is unclear when Burundi’s international airport will resume normal operations, or when other flights may be scheduled. The Department of State cannot guarantee that there will be future flight options. If evacuation or charter flights later become available, they may be substantially more expensive than this special flights.
Additional Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Burundi.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Burundi.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Bujumbura, Burundi
Avenue des Etats-Unis
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burundi-specific information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Check the Alerts and Messages for U.S. Citizens portion of our webpage for past communications from STEP
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter