Location: Bujumbura, Burundi
Event: April 12 deadline and contact information for bookings of special commercial flight by Embassy of Japan leaving on Saturday, April 18
The U.S. Embassy has learned that the Embassy of Japan is arranging a special commercial flight on Saturday, April 18, that will depart Bujumbura for Addis Ababa via Kigali and Entebbe. The flight is expected to cost approximately $600 if fully booked, will be operated by RwandAir, and only includes travel to Addis Ababa. Travelers must book their own onward travel from Addis Ababa (ADD) and take into consideration the risks of current and future travel restrictions in Ethiopia and other onward destinations. Satguru is willing to arrange travel from Addis Ababa to Washington, D.C. for an additional estimated $2100 — an estimated total of $2700. Please note that the U.S. Embassy has no control over any aspect of this flight, including the possibility of cancelation, and reservations and travel are at the travelers’ own risk.
Please find contact information (PDF 95 KB) for this special commercial flight in the Microsoft Word attachment and note that Satguru Tours and Travel Services Limited requests that you register your name by April 12.
The United States respects the rights of citizens of every country to move freely, and is actively seeking assurances from the Government of Burundi that all, including dual citizens of Burundi and other countries and foreign nationals of Burundi origin, will be able to depart on this humanitarian flight.
The Embassy strongly encourages American citizens in Burundi who wish to return to United States in the near future to travel via as soon as possible. Otherwise, they should be prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. It is unclear when Burundi’s international airport will resume normal operations, or when other flights may be scheduled. The Department of State cannot guarantee that there will be future flight options. If other flights later become available, they may be substantially more expensive than this flight. If you hope to travel to the United States via a special flight, please be ready to travel on very short notice.
If an American citizen is destitute or otherwise unable to pay for their return flight to the United States, they should contact BujumburaC@state.gov as soon as possible to explore alternate payment methods.
Additional Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Burundi.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Burundi.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Bujumbura, Burundi
Avenue des Etats-Unis
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burundi-specific information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Check the Alerts and Messages for U.S. Citizens portion of our webpage for past communications from STEP
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter