Location: Bujumbura, Burundi
There are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in Burundi.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure of U.S. personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19 from any diplomatic or consular post in the world.
On Saturday, March 21, the Ministry of Transport, Public Works, Equipment, and Homeland Planning announced that all international commercial flights departing from or arriving to Melchior Ndadaye International Airport would be suspended for seven days. Only cargo, medical evacuation, humanitarian, and diplomatic flights are exempt. The notice took effect on March 22, 2020 at 21:59 GMT. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements when flights become available.
The Government of Burundi has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Many travelers worldwide have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
Effective March 16, 2020, U.S. Embassy Bujumbura has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information on travel restrictions, flight cancelations, and airport closures.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Burundi.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Bujumbura, Burundi
Avenue des Etats-Unis
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Country-specific information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter