The Information Resource Center (IRC) is the research and information service of the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy,. The IRC provides up-to-date information about the United States, including its policies, its social and political processes, and its people. Its main aim is to reflect contemporary America to Burundi and the IRC’s resources are intended to meet the information needs of university students, government and community leaders, journalists, researchers, academics and other professionals interested in the United States. Most of our programs are offered in English.
Membership is free and open to the public. Members must be residents in Burundi. You can apply for the membership online by printing and completing the IRC and American Spaces registration form.
The Information Resource Center offers the following resources:
- a reference collection in French and English of more than 7,000 books on economics, history and culture, politics and international relations, literature, science and technology
- a range of current magazines and periodicals
- Internet access on five computer work stations
- American films and documentaries. Visitors may watch videos using the in-house viewing facilities. Group screenings can be arranged upon request.
- Programs on contemporary topics and special events that provide the American perspective.
The Information Resource Center has access to a number of electronic databases that provide access to valuable information through the Internet.
Through the State Department, the IRC has access to major in-house digital resources. The IRC Staff carry out reference queries for legal, business, government and academic professionals. Queries are accepted by telephone, e-mail or in person during working hours.
The Department of State Bureau of Information also publishes online journals based on U.S. Government Programs goals on topics like the economy, democratic governance and the US society and values.
IRC Opening Hours
Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays: 09:00 a.m – 4:30 p.m.
Weekends and Public Holidays (American and Burundi): CLOSED
Wednesdays and Fridays (by appointment only)
Call (257) 22 20 72 29 or e-mail: IRCbujumbura@state.gov to make an appointment at least a day before your visit.
Note: The IRC does not handle visa-related issues. Please contact the Embassy’s Consular Section directly for any consular service request or inquiry.