2023-2024 Humphrey Fellow Application Announcement
U.S. Embassy Bujumbura is pleased to inform you that Humphrey Fellow applications are currently open until the deadline on July 24, 2022. Each year approximately 200 Fellows funded by the U.S. Department of State engage in non-degree study and related professional experiences at 18 American universities.
What are Humphrey Fellows?
The Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program provides 10 months of non-degree academic study and related professional experience in the United States in many fields. Fellows are selected based on their potential for leadership and their commitment to public service in the public or private sector.
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Must be a Burundian citizen or resident AND a university graduate
- Must have a minimum of five years of full-time, professional experience
- Must have limited or no prior travel to the U.S.
- Must have demonstrated leadership qualities and a record of public service in the community
- Must be competent enough in English to pass a TOEFL or Duolingo test
There are a limited number of opportunities for long-term English language training if an applicant lacks the required English skills.
- Agricultural and Rural Development
- Economic Development
- Educational Administration, Planning and Policy
- Finance and Banking
- Higher Education Administration
- HIV/AIDS Policy and Prevention
- Technology Policy and Management
- Human Resource Management
- Law and Human Rights
- Public Health Policy and Management
- Teaching of English as a Foreign Language
- Trafficking in Persons Policy and Prevention
- International Religious Freedom
The Humphrey Selection Committee nominates applicants through the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy. The final selection will be made by review panels in Washington. To apply, you must:
- Complete the application form by July 24, 2022.
- Submit two confidential letters of reference, including one from your employer
- Submit a certified copy of your university transcripts and diplomas translated into English
- Demonstrate English proficiency
How to apply? For the application materials:
- Visit https://apply.iie.org/huberthhumphrey and Login
- Once logged in click, the Humphrey URL again to enter the Humphrey application.
If you have any question, please contact us on: BurundiPublicAffairs@state.gov or contact 22207051 for more details.