The Self Help Program is designed to provide funding, under the direction of the U.S. Ambassador, to small projects initiated at the local community level that are not covered under regular USAID programs. The program is managed by Embassy personnel, with funding from USAID.
The projects selected for SSH funding should demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Improving basic economic and social conditions at the community or village level;
- Supporting high impact quick-implementation activities which benefit a large number of people within one year without further SSH assistance;
- Involving significant local contribution in cash, labor, or material and are within the ability of the local community to operate and maintain;
- Being in direct response to the initiative and aspirations of the local community;
- Are not initiating, continuing or supplementing technical assistance;
- Must be respectful of environmental norms.
For further information and to apply for funding, please download the information pamphlet by clicking on the links on the right of this screen.
If you have questions regarding the programs, please call the U.S. Embassy Bujumbura at tel:22-20-70-00, to the attention of Elodie Derain Bihannic”.