Last updated: [01/10/2023]
The CDC’s Order requiring proof of vaccination for non-U.S. citizen nonimmigrants to travel to the United States is still in effect. For more information see Requirement for Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination for Air Passengers.
Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
Entry and Exit Requirements
- Are there COVID-related entry requirements for U.S. citizens? No
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? No
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? No
- A negative PCR test is required for departing passengers only if it is required by the destination country.
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No
- Those who test positive for COVID-19 are advised to quarantine at home after obtaining a treatment kit from one of the designated test centers provided by the Ministry of Health.
- Testing is available at the Institut National de Santé Publique (INSP). According to the government of Burundi, PCR test results are generally delivered within 24 hours via email, but they cannot guarantee results in this time frame.
- The cost of the test and “fit-to-fly certificate” when required for travel is 60,000 Burundian francs.
- There is no cost for an internal Covid-19 test if you suspect you may have a COVID-19 infection.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Are vaccines available in Burundi for U.S. citizens to receive? Appointments can be scheduled at https://cousp-minisante.gov.bi/Rendez_vous_vaccination_covid
- Which vaccines are available in Burundi? Sinopharm and Johnson & Johnson.
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccinesin the United States.
- Information can be found on the Burundi Ministry of Health website.
- Other links:
- CDC page on COVID-19
- Burundi Country Information and Travel Advisory page
- COVID-19 Traveler Information page on travel.state.gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- Burundi Country Information and Travel Advisory
- U.S. Embassy Bujumbura, Burundi
+257 22 20 70 00
- If you are a U.S. citizen or national traveling abroad who would like to receive important information from the embassy about safety conditions in Burundi to help you make informed decisions about your travel plans, to help U.S. Embassy Bujumbura contact you in an emergency, and to help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency, please enroll in Check the Alerts and Messages for U.S. Citizens portion of our webpage for past communications from STEP.